Airbnb is becoming increasingly popular with visitors to the Eternal City, and it's easy to see why.
Here's our pick of the ten best apartments you can rent through the site; dotted across the city in the most convenient neighbourhoods for tourists, all of them have excellent reviews so there is something to suit every budget and taste.
1. Trastevere is popular with tourists and locals for its bohemian vibe; hosts Emiliano and Maria say “The Dolce Vita is no longer a dream. Or even better, it is a dream come true.”
Cost: €480/night for up to four people.
Trastevere Spectacular Penthouse – Rome, Lazio, Italy
2. This beautifully decorated apartment is a stone's from the Colosseum.
Cost: €82/night for up to two people.
ROME CENTRE COLOSSEUM **Wi fi ! *** – Rome, Lazio, Italy
3. The 260 square metre apartment has a cinema room, pool table – and yes, that's the Colosseum you can see from the window.
Cost: €429/night for up to 8 guests.
Amazing Colosseum Hi tech – Rome, Lazio, Italy
4. You can easily reach the centre from this apartment, close to Plaza Bologna, but it's also secluded enough for you to enjoy peaceful afternoons on its garden terrace.
Cost: €59/night for up to two guests.
Apartament with garden near center – Rome, Lazio, Italy
5. Near the beautiful Campo de' Fiori, this property was designed to look like the inside of a boat, complete with portholes.
Cost: €80/night for up to four guests.
Charming boat in Campo de' Fiori – Rome, Lazio, Italy
6. This apartment lies in the heart of Rome, close to the Forum and Colosseum, and the artistic decor is truly unique.
Cost: €80/night for up to two guests.
Art beauty apartment Roman Forum – Rome, Lazio, Italy
7. Recently renovated, this quaint cottage lies in the heart of Trastevere with a quiet garden.
Cost: €108/night for up to 4 guests.
Trastevere Cottage – Rome, Lazio, Italy
8. With its 18th-century brick walls and wooden ceilings, this centrally located apartment is perfect for tourists seeking an authentic experience. There's even a Nespresso machine.
Cost: €85/night for up to two guests.
TREVI'S FOUNTAIN DIMORA BARBERINI – Rome, Lazio, Italy
9. The host says that the sleeping area is “very, very small” but the rustic decor and central location mean a stay here would be unforgettable. There is a focus on cultural heritage – even the bathroom sink has a history, and used to be a fountain in the 17th century.
Cost: €103/night for up to two guests.
Colosseum dream Casa, Rome center – Rome, Lazio, Italy
10. This loft in student district San Lorenzo is perfect for budget travellers. It is recently renovated, situated in a pleasant courtyard and is walking distance from Rome's main train station, Termini.
Cost: €66/night for up to four guests.