Editions:  Austria · Denmark · France · Germany · Italy · Norway · Spain · Sweden · Switzerland
Advertisement

Italian toddler hospitalized after mistaking cannabis for chocolate

Share this article

Italian toddler hospitalized after mistaking cannabis for chocolate
To be fair, hash does look a lot like chocolate. Photo: rbspace/Depositphotos.
16:50 CET+01:00
A 14-month-old boy is recovering in hospital in the town of Cerignola, southern Italy, after he accidentally ate cannabis, newspapers reported on Thursday.

The boy was rushed to the emergency room on Friday night with difficulty breathing, the Corriere del Mezzogiorno said. The boy, whose condition was serious, is now said to be out of danger. 

He tested positive for tetrahydrocannabinol, TCH, the chemical compound in cannabis that causes its psychological effects.

His parents told police that their son probably ate a piece of hash – cannabis resin, which typically comes in a dark-brown block – believing it was chocolate.

Police have opened an investigation. Hash is illegal in Italy, as is marijuana, except for limited medical and religious use.

Despite that fact, some three million kilos of the drug are consumed in Italy each year.

Get notified about breaking news on The Local

Share this article

Advertisement

From our sponsors

Make a difference volunteering overseas in 2018

There's no better time than the start of a new year to help bring about positive change in the world. Find out why scores of young idealists are signing up to change people's lives for the better by volunteering abroad.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jobs
Click here to start your job search
Advertisement
Advertisement

Popular articles

Advertisement
Advertisement