Brexit: How to swap your UK driving licence for an Italian one

Author thumbnail
Brexit: How to swap your UK driving licence for an Italian one

The British Embassy explains how to exchange a UK driver's licence for an Italian one – and why you should do it now.


**Note: This article is from 2020 and it is no longer being updated. Please find the most recent news about driving in Italy after Brexit here.**

If you are a UK national living in Italy you should exchange your UK driving licence for an Italian one as soon as possible.

That’s because the rules on driving licence recognition may change from January 2021. You may have to re-sit your test if you exchange your licence after December 31st, when the transition period ends.


Which licences can you exchange?

You can exchange a UK driving licence if it is a photocard licence or a paper one.

You can convert your licence before the expiry date and in some cases, when it has already expired.

Not all UK driving licences can be exchanged for an Italian one. It will depend on where you took your original driving test and whether Italy has a bilateral agreement on exchange with that country. So check for more information on the Italian Ministry of Transport website.

Where do you exchange a UK driving licence?

You can exchange your licence at one of the agencies of the Italian Ministry of Transport. These are called ‘uffici della motorizzazione civile’. There is usually one or two in every town. You can find a list of them on the Italian Ministry of Transport website.

Alternatively you can use an office of the ACI, or Automobile Club d’Italia, to exchange your licence. (Find a list of their offices here.) You can also find information in English on their website about exchanging driving licences.


Photo: Marco Bertorello/AFP

What documents do you need?

To exchange your licence you will need to provide:

  • A completed application form called a TT 2112 form, which your local ACI office or Italian Ministry of Transport agency can provide
  • Your current licence + a photocopy of the front and back of the licence
  • A valid identity document, for example a UK passport + a photocopy
  • Your codice fiscale (tax code) + a photocopy
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs

You may also need to show evidence of your residency in Italy such as your residency document.

If your licence has expired or has nearly expired, you could be asked to provide a medical certificate from your local doctor. This must have been issued in the last three months.

How much does it cost?

You will need to pay two separate fees when exchanging your licence (around €42 in total). You pay these via bolli or tax stamps.

Your local ACI office or Italian Ministry of Transport agency can provide you with pre-printed payment slips. These slips can also be found at post offices.

How long does it take?

The exchange process can take up to four months to complete but processing times vary so it is worth asking your local office.

You may want to contact more than one ACI office or Ministry of Transport agency before choosing a provider.


Do you have to give up your UK licence?

When you apply to exchange your licence you may be asked to surrender your current licence. In which case you’ll be provided with a temporary paper one, which you can use to drive in Italy while you wait for your Italian licence. You won’t be able to use this temporary one to drive in other EU countries or in the UK.

You cannot hold two driving licences at the same time. So once you have an Italian licence, you cannot also hold a UK one.

If you return to the UK at any point in the future to settle, you can exchange your Italian licence back to a UK one without having to re-sit your test.

For more advice for UK nationals in Italy, see all The Local's Brexit updates here.


Join the conversation in our comments section below. Share your own views and experience and if you have a question or suggestion for our journalists then email us at [email protected].
Please keep comments civil, constructive and on topic – and make sure to read our terms of use before getting involved.

Please log in to leave a comment.

lucy.oldham_60e6b12645ab8 2021/07/23 13:23
Has anyone else had experience of their licence coming back without all the categories on it? Every site says "exchange" or "swap" if your transfer process was started before January 2021 (ours was November 2020). That implies like-for-like to me. My husband had a full motorbike licence in the UK and when the Italian one came back they'd missed that off. He sent it back to the agent we used and they have told us that his motorbike licence isn't valid in Italy (not helpful and we suspect that he might have made a mistake on the application). I can't find any information online on the UK government websites, the EU website has no information in regards to the rules in Italy and getting hold of DVLA is as easy as pushing water uphill with a fork. So, any input from you lovely people would be gratefully received.
[email protected] 2021/01/04 09:34
As a follow up, on 22 Dec I texted the ACI office to ask if they had a status update since it had been two months of waiting. They said it would take 4 or 5 months...but then the next day they called to ask me to bring in my UK license as my Italian one was ready (perhaps they made a phone call on my behalf). I brought in my UK license, they brought it to the Motorizzazione Civile and on the following day, they handed me my Italian one. So once I had all of the documents and eye test completed, it took about 3 months.
[email protected] 2020/11/27 21:15
Agree - I too used the local ACI office this week. I am new to Italy and my Italian is not at all good ye, but the staff were patient and helpful completing all the forms online. They took all the copies of passport, Codice Fiscale, residence certificate and UK licence they needed. I paid 130 Euro for the licence and 20 Euro for the health check. I was issued my receipts ready to go and collect the new licence and surrender my UK one which might take up to 4 months. Some Anagrafe have an online service for documents which can be downloaded and printed so do check with them and get access if you can as you will be able to get multiple copies for free.
[email protected] 2020/11/25 16:17
In case this is helpful for someone: I went through the local ACI to convert my UK license (which was only a year old). In addition to the photographs and documents listed, I indeed had to procure a (non-stamped = cheaper) copy of my residence certificate from the Municipio. Once I got those things, the ACI had me come in on a weekday evening to see an eye doctor who gave me the world's fastest eye test. I paid ACI 155 euros for them to handle everything and am now waiting the couple of months for the Italian license to come in.

See Also