The Italian interior ministry on Tuesday told local authorities across the country to crack down on public gatherings, calling for “tighter” controls and “more effective and prompt” action.
It said every local prefettura should urgently come up wth an action plan, and could coordinate with mayors to use new powers allowing them to seal off streets and piazzas if crowds start to gather.
While some city centres stood almost empty over the weekend, particularly after 10pm under a new nationwide curfew, there were widespread reports in Italian media of crowds gathering in many towns and cities despite the new rules in force.
— Tgcom24 (@MediasetTgcom24) May 24, 2020
Cittadini assembrati a Cassino, il sindaco minacciq l'Esercito. Anzio: chiusa la Riviera di Ponente https://t.co/wYLp9B86uX
— Repubblica (@repubblica) November 8, 2020
The government last week introduced a three-tiered system of rules intended to combat the spread of the virus.
Five regions – Abruzzo, Umbria, Basilicata, Liguria and Tuscany – will be bumped up from yellow to orange zones on Wednesday, joining Puglia and Sicily.
The rest of the country is moderate risk – yellow.